How Much Coconut Oil Should You Consume Daily?

goodness-of-coconut-for-skin-parachute-advans-L-PX5gvS

How Much Coconut Oil Should You Consume Daily?

Coconut oil is one of nature’s most powerful forms of nutrition. Mothers’ milk is considered the most perfect food on the planet for human consumption do to its ideal nutritional content and immune boosting compounds. The closest match in nature to mothers’ milk is found within the coconut. This tropical staple is loaded with many powerful fatty acids that give it a unique taste and an abundance of health enhancing benefits.

Coconut oil enhances every bodily system. It is most renowned for its ability to dramatically boost immunity through the presence of medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) like lauric acid.  When the body consumes lauric acid it is metabolized into a monoglyceride called monolaurin.  Monolaurin liquefies microbial fatty cell membranes causing them to disintegrate.  It is quite possibly one of nature’s most powerful anti-microbial agents.

coc

Coconut Oil Balances Hormones:

Coconut oil also helps to balance hormones, stabilize blood sugar levels and boost the cellular healing process. It is also known to stimulate the thyroid and reduce stress on the liver and pancreas. This increases metabolism which helps us burn fat far more effectively while stimulating clean sources of energy that make us feel terrific.

The minimal daily dose of MCT’s in coconut oil you should consume should be equivalent to what an infant will receive through human breast milk.  The amount that infants consume helps to build their natural immune response to protect them from infectious illness while providing the nutritional support to help them grow and mature correctly. Based on body size, an average adult of 150 lbs should consume about 3 ½ tablespoons of coconut oil daily.

coco

Here is the amount of coconut oil one should consume daily:

Body Weight (lb/kg) Tablespoons of Oil

175+/79+                                 4+

150/68                                     3 ½

125/57                                     3

100/45                                     2 ½

75/34                                      2

50/23                                      1 ½

25/11                                      1

Taking this amount of coconut oil for your body weight should be enough to benefit from the MCT’s. Fortunately, the immune boosting and anti-microbial effects of MCT’s are accumulative.  This means that in many cases more is better. You can easily take twice the maintenance dose and do great.

Many natural health doctors who understand the super food power of coconut will recommend a tablespoon of coconut oil every 2-3 hours for their very sick patients.  This coconut oil could be delivered transdermally by applying it on their skin or orally through their mouth.

Coconut oil on a bamboo mat

Put Coconut Oil on Your Skin:

Many very sick patients gag when anything is put into their mouth…so expect to rub it into their skin.  Try to cover as much of their body as possible and especially over major areas where sickness exists. If someone has a respiratory infection, rub the coconut oil over their throat and chest regions so it will affect these regions first.

Because coconut oil is a super food and not a drug there is no danger of overdosing on coconut oil. Many tropical populations have consumed twice as much as the maintenance dose on a daily basis throughout their lives with no side effects.  Dr. Bruce Fife, N.D. claims to have taken up to 14 tablespoons a day with no problems.

Coconut milk is another incredible way to add the MCT benefits into your daily life.  Coconut milk is very rich and creamy.  It is fantastic in a berry shake, mixed into hummus, guacamole, rice dishes, and soups.  Be sure to get the regular or full fat milk in a glass container or can and not the light or carton based varieties.  Look for organic varieties without preservatives.  3oz of coconut milk = 1 Tbsp of coconut oil.  One full can supplies roughly 12 oz of coconut milk which is equivalent to 4 tablespoons of coconut oil.
How do you prefer to get your coconut oil in each day?

Sources For This Article Include:

Comments

comments

Get more from DrJockers.com

Subscribe to receive weekly health news!

, , , , , ,

Get Your FREE Guide to the SuperCharged Recipe Plan - Click to Learn More

9 Responses to How Much Coconut Oil Should You Consume Daily?

1. Ronnie Andreu March 11, 2014 at 11:54 am #

What is EV coconut oil?

2. Dr. Jockers March 11, 2014 at 11:55 am #

EV = Extra Virgin

3. Jeff Cyr March 19, 2014 at 2:54 pm #

Dr Jockers thank you for your very informative website.It is to bad that more doctors would not take the time to learn the power of virgin coconut oil and more importantly the power of a ketogenic diet and the power of 24hr fasting.I realize that most doctors are influenced by big pharma.which is leading a lot of people to do their own research online.We have been taught our whole lives to stay away from fat and to eat a diet of at least 60% carb.Often being told to eat every 3 hrs to keep our blood sugar up!I ate that way my whole life not knowing any better what did it get me at the age of 46 was diagnosed type 2 with a fasting blood sugar of 300 and a a1c of 11.8.also blood pressure of 200 over 110.My doctor told me welcome to the club put me on Avandia and met formin and told me that I would most probably need to take insulin down the road.Also put me on 2 meds for blood pressure.Now don’t get me wrong when I say I ate carbs I ate a lot of nonfiber carbs mostly all junk food.I put myself in that position.I weighed 330 lbs and smoked 3 packs of cigs a day.Today I am a 54 year old male weigh 182 am 6foot 1 inch.I lost most of the weight before I learned of a keto diet.I was diagnosed with a fatal autoimmune liver disease called primary sclerosing cholangitis.The body attacks the bile ducts of the liver eventually plugging up the bile ducts and causes total liver failure.Most people live 10 years after being diagnosed.I was diagnosed in nov of 2010.And I am not most people.I started the ketogenic diet in nov of 2012.Today my fasting blood sugar is anywhere from 70-81 my a1c is 4.6 and my fasting insulin is 2.2 .I learned from websites and books.Dr ron rosedale got it started for me then dr. jockers steve phinney and jeff voleck jimmy moore peter attia and many more.The human body was built to run on fat.Once a person can convert the body to being able to burn fat and most importantly the brain to run mostly on ketone bodies which can cross the bbb the brain can get up to 80% of its energy from ketones.And the feeling is hard to explain unlike anything I have ever experienced before.It totally blunts all hunger and your brain is so much sharper and clearer.My liver is running I believe for the first time in my life the way it was designed to run from birth.When I was diagnosed in noc of 2010 my total bilirubin was 2.4. Jaundice is at 3.0.In nov of 2013 my total bilirubin was 1.5 1.0 is normal.I go for blood work in june and am hoping for 1.0.Also since swithing to a ketogenic diet my hdl went from 55 innov of 2012 to 105 in nov of 2013.My ldl is 74 and my trigs are 60.And just to let you know dr.jockers I have taken up to 20 tablespoons of virgin coco oil per day with no problems.My average is 10-15 per day .I now do 24hr fasts 2-3 days per week in hopes it will help with my liver.When I don’t do 24hr fasts I eat 2 meals per day lunch and supper.I eat no more than 20 grams net of carb from mostly radishes celery broccoli spinach.80-100 grams of protein the rest from vir olive oil and virgin coconut oil.Well thank you for everything you do dr.jockers and keep up the good work!Sincerly Jeff Cyr

4. Dr. Jockers March 26, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

Jeff! Thanks for the encouragement and congrats on the great health results and your commitment to maximizing your health potential! Many Blessings!

5. Tamara May 15, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

While I have heard of the wonderous health benefits of Coconut oil and have been consuming such – my husband read Nutrition Action Newsletter, written by medical docs with PHD’s, that stated that the human body only needs a small amount of Saturated Fat and it gave a graph of all the oils and their fat contents. Of course, coconut oil was the worst and at the very bottom for Saturated Fat – so now he refuses to eat it because of the saturated fat content and what Sat fats do to the heart, etc.
    How do I explain to him about the Saturated fats in coconut oil and it’s benefits?
    thanks so much for your help!!
    Sincerely,
    tamara

6. Dr Jockers May 15, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

Tamara,

Hey, you could show him all the articles I have on this website or just google search coconut oil and you will find tons of amazing information. Unfortunately, those MD’s are quite outdated and not current on their literature or they would recognize the fantastic benefits of saturated fats – especially the small and medium chain in coconut oil!

7. D June 15, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

I just started a ketogenic diet with 70/25/5 ratio of fat/protein/carbs and 1,200 calories. My question is do I count the MCT oil calories if I start to consume 3½ Tbs =350 calories?

8. Dr. Jockers June 15, 2014 at 1:04 pm #

Yes those are real calories, but I wouldn’t be concerned about them from a weight gain perspective. Weight loss is much more about hormone signaling then calorie deficits.

9. Melak September 23, 2014 at 7:03 am #