Boost Glutathione Levels Naturally

GlutathioneCoverPic2

Glutathione:  The Master Anti-Oxidant:

The human body is under oxidative stress from a variety of sources at all times.  To combat this stress and damage the body utilizes anti-oxidants of all different varieties.  Glutathione (GSH) is a very special peptide molecule that provides the greatest anti-oxidant protection and recharges other anti-oxidants within the body (1).

Every cell in the body produces glutathione.  Many longevity scientists believe that the level of glutathione in our cells is predicative of how long we will live (2, 3, 4).  This is logical considering the wealth of essential bodily processes that glutathione plays a critical role in.

Glutathione has been coined with the term “master anti-oxidant” due to its essential role in maintaining exogenous anti-oxidants such as vitamin C & E in their active form (5, 6).  Glutathione is like the cell’s security guard protecting the genetic equipment from outside attack.  It is estimated that each cell in the body withstands 10,000 hits by free radicals each day.  Glutathione disarms these free radicals before they wreak havoc and cleans up the oxidative stress related damage that has occurred.

glutathione-guardian-of-cell

Glutathione’s Role in Immunity and Detoxification:

Glutathione plays a significant role in immune function (7).  Studies have shown that glutathione strengthens T cells which are critical for modulating the immune system appropriately (8).  These are the cells that coordinate the attack against pathogenic bacteria, viruses, etc. while keeping tissue damage and auto-immune responses in check.  An overactive immune system can trigger allergies and auto-immune disease processes.

Glutathione fights against cellular toxins and works to eliminate carcinogens from the intracellular environment while healing damaged cells.  Glutathione is constantly in action protecting the body against disease, toxins, viruses, pollutants, radiation, drugs and oxidative stress (9).  When damage does occur, it immediately goes to work repairing the free radical damage.

ghs_diagrame

Glutathione Protects the Brain:

If sufficient glutathione is not available, the toxins will overload the liver and lead to fat soluble toxins being stored in fatty tissues.  The central nervous system, breasts, & prostate are the most susceptible areas.  Many researchers credit the increase in neurological disease and cancer to depleted cellular glutathione (1011, 12).  The brain produces more free radicals than any other tissues and is therefore in need of more glutathione than any other region.

Levels of glutathione begin to decline with aging as the majority of individuals in our society become more toxic and deficient.  Additionally, our society has more environmental toxicity than ever before so there is a significant need for more glutathione production.  Unfortunately, our modern world diets are void of the necessary precursors for this critical agent.

Glutathione

Aging Declines Glutathione Production:

By age 20, scientists estimate that the average person loses glutathione at 8-12% per decade (13).  Increased health challenges from infection, poor diet, smoking, increased toxic load, medication usage, etc. can deplete these stores at a much faster rate.  Scientists estimate that a 30% reduction of glutathione is enough for cellular dysfunction to occur (14, 15).

Studies have shown that adequate vitamin D is necessary for optimal glutathione production (16).  The vast majority of our society is extremely deficient in vitamin D (17).  Optimal vitamin D levels should be between 60-100 ng/ml.

gpx

Glutathione Precursers in the Diet:

Glutathione precursors such as glycine, glutamic acid and cysteine should naturally be consumed through our diet.  The best vegetable sources include avocados, onions, spinach, & asparagus.  Herbs such as turmeric have also been shown to boost glutathione content.   Unfortunately, vegetable sources are still very low in these critical amino acids.

The best food sources are through high quality, non-denatured animal products.  These include non-denatured grass-fed whey protein and cultured, raw grass-fed dairy products and raw, organic eggs.  These cultured, raw grass-fed dairy products are an incredibly good source of highly bioavailable amino acids and offer more cysteine than any other food source.

WheyProteinHeader

Best Glutathione Supplements:

As a clinican, I recommend supplements to boost glutathione stores for nearly everyone.  This is because our society is so bombarded with toxins in the form of mental/emotional stressors, environmental chemicals in our air, water and food.  We are depleting our glutathione stores.

When we hit a critical mass where all of a sudden our glutathione levels are unable to keep up with the oxidative stress from our environment, our health goes down hill quickly!  This is when all of a sudden we have a significant rush of anti-body formation and the maturation of an auto-immune disease develops, we develop chronic pain or we have absolutely no energy anymore and/or tumors grow quickly (whether we know we have cancer or not).

21st century health is all about boosting our bodies anti-oxidant defense systems to protect the body from the onslaught of toxins and oxidative stress.  The best ways to boost glutathione from supplements includes formulated compounds that have key precursers such as glycine, glutamic acid and cysteine.  We can also look for herbs such as turmeric and milk thistle and sulfur compounds like MSM, N-acetyl cysteine and lipoic acid.  This is why I like the Maximized Living Daily Detox product which contains many of these key compounds.

MaxDetoxHeader

I also like to use a transdermal glutathione cream called Super Oxicell for fast delivery.  This is an ultra-fast delivery system for these key nutrients which help to modulate the immune system and control inflammation. I use this with high level athletes, auto-immune cases as well as cancer patients and those looking to slow down the aging process.  I have used it for my own athletic injuries by rubbing it on the areas that were sore.  I also like to have individuals with auto-immunity thyroid issues rub it on their thyroid to dampen the inflammation and help them function and heal better.

SuperOxicellHeader

Sources For This Article Include:

OptimumImmuneHealth       Wikipedia        PointofReturn

Comments

comments

, , , , ,

Get Your FREE Guide to the SuperCharged Recipe Plan - Click to Learn More

22 Responses to Boost Glutathione Levels Naturally

1. Clare Shinebourne July 13, 2012 at 2:42 pm #

I have had a full thyroid blood test. I have high peroxidase (TPO) antibodies. How can I heal this naturally? Is this condition always due to pathogens? (virus,yeast,bacteria,parasite?) or other toxins? Or can something else be the cause?

I understand about needing Vit D and glutathione for my immune system.

Everything else in the test is OK.

• admin July 13, 2012 at 9:14 pm #

Clare – this is a great question. I would recommend reading the article -Beat Hypothyroidism Naturally on this site.

2. Christina July 24, 2012 at 1:11 am #

Where do we get the information for a Beyond Organic Health Coach please?

Thank you!

Christina
    Ohio

3. tullia October 8, 2012 at 6:26 am #

Dr. Jockers
    do you have a protocol to help with Parkinson disease?
    My husband..only 50 is not on medicines…looking for a much better alternative.
    Tullia

4. Allison Bledman April 16, 2013 at 10:04 am #

Greetings Dr. Jockers:

My mom will be 93 in June 2013. She is healthy. Cleans , cooks, and is up and around. She has cataract in both eyes……the left is more severe. She does not want to have surgery even though the drs assured her that she would be ok.
    Please give me a natural recommendation that can help her to see a little better.

Thanks
    Allison

• Dr. David Jockers April 16, 2013 at 10:09 am #

Allison,

I would recommend her supplement with Astaxanthin – 12mg daily. It will improve her vision, brain function and energy. You can find this on our products list on this website!

5. Nancy April 16, 2013 at 2:59 pm #

Do you have a brand of whey protein that you would recommend? I need help finding the best one. Thank you!

6. lynne May 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm #

Re: Glutathione

I have a genetic inability to make glutathione. I have a healthy diet, but don’t think I get enough glutathione, as I have lots of health problems. I have taken a lipoceutical liquid glutathione for years but don’t know if it is helping. What do you recommend for supplementation?
    Thank you.

7. Dr. David Jockers May 16, 2013 at 7:59 pm #

Sorry to hear about this Lynne. I would do a lipoceutical liquid and you can get weekly glutathione infusions from some advanced health clinics. I know Progressive Medical does this in the Atlanta area

8. Liz May 27, 2013 at 6:54 pm #

I posted the link to this article on the Polymyositis Board online. I’ve read conflicting research that said the body cannot process glutathione orally — and then just the opposite. What is your take on this?

Have you heard of Dr. Kevin Connors? He wrote a book on auto-immune disease called, “Help, My Body is Killing Me”. He is a believer and very knowledgeable. He states in his book that he puts all his auto-immune patients on this antioxidant.

Your thoughts?

9. Connie Reysag June 12, 2014 at 6:57 pm #

I’m 47 yes.old and I’m a kidney transplant for 6 years now I would to know if I can use glutathione injections?

• Dr. Jockers June 12, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

Hey Connie,

I am not an expert in glutathione injections. I would speak with an office that specializes in that about it. Blessings!

10. Yasmin September 16, 2014 at 6:36 am #

Hi Dr Jockers,
    I am new to your website. I have read and started implementing and changing my diet. I have a good way to go but I will get there.
    My question today for you is on the SuperOxicell cream.
    Last October 2013, I had bi- lateral total knee replacements. Sometimes after exercising or short hikes my miracle knees can get a bit stiff or clicks a bit. My Surgeon explain that the tissues can get swollen. With RICE it goes away after a few days. Do you think that rubbing the SuperOxicell can help?
    Thank you.
    Yazzy662

• Dr. Jockers September 16, 2014 at 6:39 am #

Hey Yasmin,

I have been using the Super Oxicell for a back injury I recently suffered with and it has dramatically improved my healing time. Not only that, but I just feel a noticeable and positive difference in my body rhythms when I am using it. Very good stuff, I would recommend it.

• Becky Fuller November 6, 2014 at 2:00 am #

Are you saying you rub Super Oxicell on your back? A very multi-use product?

• Dr. Jockers November 6, 2014 at 6:55 am #

Yes, you can rub it on any region of your body.

11. Dianne September 16, 2014 at 8:29 pm #

Hi Dr jockers,
    I was introduced to your wonderful site by my son who became paralyzed 10 years go. We read everyone of your posts. You give such grat Information. Wish you had a Practice here in JACKSONVILLE, nI would be your patient.
    I just had my 60th birthday, no major health problems (praise God), however I do not feel energetic or feel in optimal shape. I lead a very stressful and hectic life. Is the stress draining on my body or is this what to expect at my age? I read everything I can get my hands on about health, but I need a specifc plan .what do you suggest?

• Dr. Jockers September 16, 2014 at 9:42 pm #

Thanks for the compliments Diane. Sorry to hear about the stress and health challenges you are facing. I do work with people long-distance via phone/Skype and I set up customized health plans for people to follow. You can email me at drjockers@drjockers.com and we can schedule. Blessings!

12. ANN September 17, 2014 at 1:46 pm #

Hi Dr. Jockers,

I’m 47 years old, weighs 115 lbs and 5’1 in height. I have been feeling warm on my joints and went to the doctor for medical check up. The initial finding is RA, and was ordered to do another series of test to confirm if it’s really RA or something else. I don’t think I’m overweight, doing 2 X a week Zumba for my exercise. And I was wondering how did I get RA in my system. But anyways, I would like to ask if you could send me some links to your site that would give me information and definitely help me overcome, or get through this challenge, or articles about what to eat and what to avoid so as not to have flare ups, and what supplements do you recommend for this?

Thank you so much.