Avoid GMOs and Improve Your Health:
Genetically modified organisms (GMO’s) have had specific changes introduced into their DNA by genetically engineering techniques. This technology is thought to increase food yields and create super foods that grow larger and are more resilient to pests.
Despite mounting evidence, the FDA and food industry continue to say GM foods are safe, tested and necessary to feed a world dying of starvation (1). After many years of research on risk/benefit of GMO products, it is now quite obvious that they pose an extremely significant hazard to human health (2, 3, 4, 5). There are critical steps a consumer can take to avoid consuming GMO foods.
One of the most popular genetic crop modifications makes plants immune to herbicides. In particular, the company called Monsanto has made a whole line of “RoundUp Ready,” crops that are resistant to the RoundUp herbicide. However, the natural world is far superior than man’s attempt to manipulate and control nature.
Herbicide Residue Polluting the Planet:
Fields that have been sprayed with RoundUp for multiple years are now seeing super weeds that are impervious to RoundUP and grow up to six to seven feet tall (6). Andrew Kimbrell is the Executive Director of the Center for Food Safety since 1997. He says that we now have 10-20 million acres of these super weeds that you cannot kill (7).
The RoundUp herbicide is also a powerful toxin for human consumption. GM products are highly sprayed with such herbicides and many strong pesticides. These toxins cause serious damage within the human body.
Unlike many other countries, GMO containing foods are still unlabeled here in America. However, according to a recent survey, if they were labeled 53% of participants said they would not eat them (8). Currently 60-70% of our food in the US is genetically modified. Children’s foods are the number one GMO containing products (9).
Processed Foods Most Likely are GMO:
Many processed foods contain 90-100% GM ingredients. Most all non-organic breads and other baked goods contain GM ingredients. Most non-organic chocolate, sweets, candy, gum, etc. contain GM ingredients. Most non-organically raised animal (meat, dairy, eggs) products contain GM ingredients. These animals are typically fed a diet that is 90+% GMO. Most non-organic beverages (beer, wine, soft drinks, juices) contain GM ingredients.
In May of 2009, The American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) sent out a press release that called for an immediate moratorium on GM foods (10). They asked physicians to educate their patients and provide educational material about the health risks associated with GM foods. They proposed that physicians consider the role of GM foods in their patients’ disease process.
Extreme Health Risks with GM Foods:
In their position paper, the AAEM sites several animal studies that indicate extreme health risks associated with GM foods. Some of the health risks include infertility, immune dysfunction, allergic reactions, accelerated aging, insulin dysregulation, organ malfunction and digestive dysfunction (11).
The AAEM quoted in their paper, “There is more than a casual association between GM foods and adverse health effects. There is causation, as defined by recognized scientific criteria. The strength of association and consistency between GM foods and disease is confirmed in several animal studies” (11).
How To Avoid Purchasing GMO Foods:
- Buy organic as much as possible
- Buy foods labeled “Non-GMO”
- Avoid non-organic products containing corn, soy, canola, cottonseed, peanut, alfalfa, safflower, tomatoes, zucchini, crookneck squash, sugar cane, beats, peppers & papayas.
- Avoid GMO offspring products such as high fructose corn syrup, maltodextrin, soy lecithin, soy protein, etc.
- Avoid non-organic dairy products and all other commercialized animal products.
- Grow your own food products or purchase them from local farmers who do not use GM seeds & products in their farms.
- Use the Non-GMO shopping guide here
We Are on a Health Revolution:
There is a revolution happening in the farm fields and on the dinner tables of America, a revolution that is transforming the very nature of the food we eat. The movie, “The Future of Food,” offers an in-depth investigation into the disturbing truth behind the unlabeled, patented, genetically engineered foods that have quietly filled the grocery store shelves for the past decade.
These Genetically Modified Foods (GMO’s) were engineered by big chemical companies such as Monsanto, Dupont, Bayer, and many others. These companies are linked to a multitude of crimes on humanity and now they are looking to control our food supply. Currently, 60-70% of our current food supply contains GMO’s. Children’s foods are the number one GMO containing products.
GMO Foods and Major Health Problems:
Cancer Birth Defects Infertility Poor Immunity Allergies Asthma
When animals are offered a choice between a GMO and a non-GMO food, the animals always choose the non-GMO food. Many times they will do this to the point of starvation, as they have an intuitive sense of the danger of this food.
You and I Can Make a Difference:
It’s important to realize that the key to ending the ongoing atrocity of GM foods lies not with government, but with you and me. Consumers are going to have to drive GM foods out and we CAN do it. Through educating yourself, your family, friends and community about GMOs, and most importantly of all, through the food purchases you make, you can stop this unregulated science experiment.
Once we reach the tipping point, which is probably as little as five percent of the US population, the market WILL respond. They can’t afford not to! Once enough people refuse to buy GM food products, it won’t be long before food manufacturers start switching their ingredients.
Sources For This Article Include:
- Huffington Post: Can GMOs Help End World Hunger? Link Here
- Aris A, Leblanc S. Maternal and fetal exposure to pesticides associated to genetically modified foods in Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. Reprod Toxicol. 2011 May;31(4):528-33. PMID: 21338670
- Spisák S, Solymosi N, Ittzés P, Bodor A, Kondor D, Vattay G, Barták BK, Sipos F, Galamb O, Tulassay Z, Szállási Z, Rasmussen S, Sicheritz-Ponten T, Brunak S, Molnár B, Csabai I. Complete genes may pass from food to human blood. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 30;8(7):e69805. PMID: 23936105
- Genetically Modified Foods Proposed as Trigger for Gluten Sensitivity Link Here
- Magaña-Gómez JA, de la Barca AM. Risk assessment of genetically modified crops for nutrition and health. Nutr Rev. 2009 Jan;67(1):1-16. PMID: 19146501
- Union of Concerned Scientists: The Rise of Superweeds and What to Do About It (2013) Link Here
- Center For Food Safety: National Weed Summit Tackles Epidemic of Herbicide Resistant “Superweeds” Link Here
- Non GMO Project: GMO FACTS Link Here
- Medical Daily: Is America Ready For Genetically Modified Fish? FDA Considers AquAdvantage Salmon Link Here
- American Academy Of Environmental Medicine: The American Academy Of Environmental Medicine Calls For Immediate Moratorium On Genetically Modified Foods Link Here
- American Academy Of Environmental Medicine: Genetically Modified Foods Link Here