Berry Delicious Kefir Walnut Crunch
This is a recipe made by my friend Christina Vossler and you can check out her facebook page Abundant Life Essentials here
A Note From Christina:
This incredibly simple and tasty snack is a great way to integrate some highly nutritious Super Foods into your diet! I came up with this concoction as a replacement for grain cereal and milk when I began to choose more gut-healthy foods.
It has become a delicious way to consume these Super Foods (particularly kefir) on a more regular basis. This is a recipe for a single serving, but you could easily double or multiply depending on how many you are serving. I try to always have these ingredients on hand so it is simple to mix together any time.
Kefir Walnut Crunch Ingredients:
- ½ cup fresh (or thawed from frozen) combination of both organic blueberries and raspberries
- ¼ organic apple (I prefer Fuji apples), chopped into small pieces
- ½ cup kefir made from organic raw milk (I like my own homemade kefir cultured until thick)
- ½ teaspoon organic vanilla
- Stevia to taste (I use 1 tiny scoop or 45 mg of organic stevia leaf extract)
- 1/3 cup fresh ground raw walnuts
- Organic cinnamon to taste
Beyond Organic Plain Amasai as an alternative to the raw milk kefir
Kefir Walnut Crunch Directions:
- Place the berries and the chopped apple in a soup or cereal bowl.
- In a small liquid measuring cup, measure ½ cup kefir. Add the vanilla and the stevia into the kefir and stir with a spoon until mixed.
- Pour the kefir mixture over the berries and apples, and mix slightly.
- Add the walnuts and cinnamon over the top. You can mix it up like cereal or eat more like a parfait.
Dr Jockers Comments:
Raw, fermented dairy is an absolute superfood that is loaded with essential fats, probiotics, enzymes and organic acids. It is also rich in sulfur compounds that detoxify the body and enhance the bodies innate healing response.
When you add in berries it adds anti-oxidant phytonutrients and the walnuts add in fiber and small chain omega-3 fatty acids. I am a big fan of adding flax, hemp and/or chia to the fermented raw dairy as the sulfur containing proteins and the small chain omega 3’s and fiber have a great nutritional synergy that enhances the bodies natural biorhythms.