This is a modified recipe from my friend Megan Kelly. She has an incredible blog and is a Licensed Esthetician specializing in holistic nutrition, woman’s hormones, and spiritual health.
Keto Chicken Fajita Salad Ingredients
2-3 large chicken breasts
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 cloves of garlic
1 medium yellow or red onion
5 tsps of Mexican spice blend
Servings: 2-3 large salads
Keto Chicken Fajita Salad Instructions
- Begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees
- Chop the peppers into thin slices
- Mince garlic and chop the onion
- Cut the chicken into strips or you can also cut the chicken after it is cooked if you prefer. We get pre-cooked, pre-cut chicken which is great, but we often heat it up as well.
For the Seasoning
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together cumin, paprika, coriander, chili powders and 1 ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper and set it aside.
- Spread the bell peppers and onions onto baking sheet. Top this with chicken strips and then sprinkle garlic and seasoning evenly over chicken strips. Drizzle either olive oil, XCT oil or avocado oil on top of everything and toss the salad to evenly coat.
- Spread everything into an even layer working to keep the chicken from overlapping.
- Roast everything in a preheated oven, tossing once halfway through cooking until the veggies and chicken are tender and cooked through. This should be about 20-25 minutes.
- Place a handful of mixed greens on a plate and top with the chicken and veggie fajita mix.
- Drizzle the Primal Kitchens Ranch on top of everything and top it off with avocado or even better, a good guacamole.
Notes For This Recipe
The Primal Kitchen Ranch dressing is very good on this recipe. It is full of good ingredients, with avocado oil and healing spices. If you don’t have this or don’t want ranch than just leave it out.
For the Mexican spice blend, you can make the following:
½ tsp of ground coriander
1 ½ tsp of ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
Dr Jockers Comments
This is a tasty, low-carb, ketogenic style dinner meal that your family will love. I always recommend a dinner with healthy fats, clean proteins, anti-oxidants and fiber. I also love a lot of color and flavor in my recipes and this one really hits home.
You can use either olive oil, avocado oil or XCT oil for this recipe. I prefer to use the XCT oil, which raises up ketones within the body quickly for many of my salads and for cooking. I typically add olives or avocado or guacamole to my recipes to add in more good fats and I think the best benefit of olive and avocado is in the whole fruit and not just the concentrated oil.
XCT oil is also called MCT oil for medium chain triglyceride oil and is derived from coconut but it is concentrated 8 and 10 carbon chain fats that the body metabolizes quickly and forms ketones with. These ketones help to stabilize blood sugar, reduce inflammation and improve brain function.
I love adding color to my meals in the form of bell peppers which are loaded with vitamin C, and bioflavonoids and relatively low in carbohydrates. If you are avoiding nightshades, you can avoid these and use cucumbers and radishes instead.
Be sure to look for organic chicken or at the very least naturally raised without hormones and anti-biotics in order to avoid environmental toxins and get the best possible meat for your body. If you are having trouble finding affordable organic and grass-fed meat products in your local area than you can order through US Wellness Meats here or Slankers here