This recipe is from my friend Megan Kelly. She has an incredible blog and is a Licensed Estheticain specializing in holistic nutrition, woman’s hormones, and spiritual health.
Collagen Marshmallows Ingredients:
Typically you need a hand mixer or mixing machine, but I also provided one recipe you can simply use a blender for.
Vanilla- Sugar Free
Vanilla with Sweetener
Sugar Free Chocolate
Chocolate Marshmallows using Blender
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 3 Tbsp gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
Collagen Rich Marshmallows Instructions:
For Chocolate and Vanilla Marshmallows Using Mixer
- Place the 3 tbsp gelatin into the bowl of a mixer along with 1/2 cup water.
- Mix together and let sit for 5 minutes to gel.
- Get the whisk attachment if using a machine or ready or get out a hand mixer
- In a small saucepan , heat up 1/2 cup water over medium high heat. (If using honey or syrup to sweeten, add this to the water in this step!)
- Once the water reaches just about boil temperature, remove from the heat.
- Turn the mixer on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the hot water down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture.
- Once you have added all of the water, add in vanilla extract and liquid stevia, and increase the speed to medium.
- Beat at medium-high for 1-2 minutes than increase speed to high.
- Continue to whip until the mixture becomes slightly thick, approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Use any pan- a bread loaf pan works well. Lightly grease your pan with some coconut oil.
- Once your marshmallow mixture is starting to look like it has some body to it, pour the mixture into the pan.
- Allow to sit in fridge until set.
- Once marshmallows have set for a few hours you can start to cut into desired shapes.
- Store in an airtight container in fridge.
For Chocolate Marshmallows using Blender
- Grease a baking dish with coconut oil and set aside
- In a small sauce pan, boil 1 1/4 cups water
- Then, in a high powered blender, add the gelatin and 1/2 cold water
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes and gel.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients to the blender including the boiling water
- Blend for 1-2 minutes
- Pour into your greased baking dish- I use a square cooking dish.
- Place in fridge until set
- Slice into cubes and store in fridge.
Notes and Frequently Asked Questions:
- Blending times will vary based on the blending technique you use.
- If using stevia you will have to beat the marshmallows longer
- If using maple syrup or honey the beating time will be less
- Beating time can change depending on how hot your water is.
One very common question I hear is “why did mine get a gummy layer on bottom?” This is typically due to one of the following issues:
- Water may not have been hot enough
- Marshmallows were not beaten long enough
Dr Jockers Comments:
One of the most enjoyable foods of childhood is marshmallows! I used to love to roast them on a stick by a campfire and even better, enjoy them in tasty smores! Typical marshmallows are loaded with sugar, corn syrup, artificial flavorings and preservatives and a bunch of other chemicals.
This recipe is a powerful source of essential nutrients that support improved healing and tissue regeneration. Most people are not aware of how grass-fed beef gelatin is nature’s richest source of collagen.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body and is a key constituent of all connective tissues. Collagen provides the infrastructure of the musculoskeletal system, the intestinal lining, the skin and is essential for optimal function and mobility. Peptides are short chain amino acids naturally derived from collagen protein.
These natural peptides are highly bioavailable, digestible and soluble in cold water. The intake of collagen ensures the cohesion, elasticity and regeneration of skin, hair, tendon, cartilage, bones, and joints.
Collagen is the protein that holds our bodies together, without it we would literally fall apart. It is a major component of ligaments, bones, joints, and tendons. Dietary supplementation provides rapid absorption and repair of all structures in the body.
- Increase Bone Density
- Reduce Joint Pain
- Prevent Joint Degeneration
- Improve Skin Texture and Strength
- Reduce Skin Wrinkling
- Improve the Integrity of the Intestinal Lining
Now you can make marshmallows for your kids and yourself and have them as a regular snack! Enjoy!