The 7 Best Aromatase Inhibiting Foods
Aging and high levels of physical, chemical and emotional stress are associated with the loss of progesterone in women and testosterone in men. This process of converting androgenic hormones into estrogens is called aromatization (1).
Estrogen is a catabolic hormone that breaks down muscle mass and leads to an increase in body fat and aromatase. Testosterone and to a slight degree progesterone are anabolic hormones that promote lean body mass. In this article, you will discover the 7 best aromatase inhibiting foods and herbs.
What is Aromatase:
Aromatase is an enzyme that is found in estrogen producing cells located in the adrenal glands, ovaries, placenta, testicles, brain and fat tissue. Higher levels of aromatase in the body convert more testosterone and progesterone into estrogen.
Elevated aromatase activity and estrogen dominance are some of the most common factors associated with breast, uterine and ovarian cancers in women (4). Prostate, colon and breast cancer in men are associated with estrogen dominance.
Cruciferous veggies: Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower Brussel sprouts & cabbage contain several powerful nutrients that detoxify bad estrogenic molecules. These nutrients include Indole-3 Acetate, Indole-3 Carbonyl and Diindolylmethane. These cruciferous veggies also contain sulfur containing nutrients such as Sulfuraphane and Phenyl Isothiocyanates that enhance liver detoxification processes and destroy cancer cell formation (9).
Healthy Fat Rich Foods: These are foods that are rich in saturated and omega-3 fatty acids. It includes plant based fats such as coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil and avocados. Raw nuts (other than peanuts) and seeds contain anti-estrogenic plant sterols. Organic poultry, wild-caught salmon, wild game and 100% grass-fed beef are great for healthy hormone function (10).
Alium Family: The aliums include garlic, onions, scallions, chives and leeks. These are all rich in sulfur containing amino acids and the powerful flavone anti-oxidant quercetin that both help the liver detoxify at a higher level and reduce the production of estrogen (11).
Flavone Rich Herbs:
Dietary flavones and flavonones have been demonstrated to be the most potent aromatase-inhibitory flavonoids. The most powerful flavones include chrysin which is found in passionflower and apignine which is found in chamomile. Several brands of herbal tea can be purchased that feature both organic passionflower and chamomile. These teas are typically marketed for healthy sleep but they are also powerful anti-estrogenic activity.
Flavonones: These are found in citrus fruits and in particular lemons and limes. They are classically called citrus bioflavonoids and they include diosmin, hesperidin, rutin, naringin, tangeretin, diosmetin, narirutin, neohesperidin, nobiletin and quercetin.
Anti-Oxidant rich herbs: Herbs such as oregano, thyme, rosemary, sage and turmeric are loaded with volatile oils that promote liver detoxification. Turmeric has a potent ability to destroy estrogen receptor positive cancer cells which are the most commonly found cells in breast, uterine, ovarian and prostate cancer.
Chlorophyll and Fermented Foods:
One of the most powerful life-giving substances on the planet is chlorophyll. This is the pigment that gives green foods their color. Chlorophyll rich foods have a very deep green color and they are extraordinarily useful in purifying the body of toxins.
Fermented foods contain organic acids, anti-oxidants, enzymes and probiotics that enhance gut function and eliminatory channels. Fermented veggies include sauerkraut, kimchi and fermented soy. Fermented raw dairy from 100% grass-fed cows is amazing for the body. Fermented drinks such as apple cider vinegar, kombucha and herbal botanicals are great estrogen detoxifiers.
Sources for This Article Include:
- Nimrod A, Ryan KJ. Aromatization of androgens by human abdominal and breast fat tissue. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1975 Mar;40(3):367-72. PMID: 234975
- Lessey BA, Young SL.Homeostasis imbalance in the endometrium of women with implantation defects: the role of estrogen and progesterone. Semin Reprod Med. 2014 Sep;32(5):365-75. PMID: 24959818
- Om AS, Chung KW. Dietary zinc deficiency alters 5 alpha-reduction and aromatization of testosterone and androgen and estrogen receptors in rat liver. J Nutr. 1996 Apr;126(4):842-8. PMID: 8613886
- Miller WR, Hawkins RA, Forrest AP. Significance of aromatase activity in human breast cancer. Cancer Res. 1982 Aug;42(8 Suppl):3365s-3368s. PMID: 7083201
- De Ronde W, de Jong FH. Aromatase inhibitors in men: effects and therapeutic options. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology : RB&E. 2011;9:93.
- Goldmeier D, Scullard G, Kapembwa M, Lamba H, Frize G. Does increased aromatase activity in adipose fibroblasts cause low sexual desire in patients with HIV lipodystrophy? Sex Transm Infect. 2002 Feb;78(1):64-6. PMID: 11872865
- PharmacistBen: Top Ten Foods For Protection From (The Stress Hormone, Fibroid Stimulating, Anti-Libido and Potentiol Carcinogen) Estrogen Link Here
- Healthline: Anti-Estrogen Diet for Men: Foods for Lowering Levels Link Here
- National Cancer Institute: Cruciferous Vegetables and Cancer Prevention Link Here
- Axe: 10 Ways To Balance Horomones Naturally Link Here
- Life Extension Magazine: Quercetin: Broad-Spectrum Protection Link Here