This recipe is a slightly modified version from my friend Megan Kelly. She has an incredible blog and is a Licensed Esthetician specializing in holistic nutrition, woman’s hormones, and spiritual health.
Coconut Cream Cups Ingredients
1.5 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup Coconut Butter
½ cup Coconut Oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp turmeric
Pinch of black pepper
20-25 drops Stevia extract optional
Coconut Cream Cups Instructions
- Melt butter or ghee on low and mix in the turmeric and black pepper- stir until well combined. This makes a turmeric liquid
- Place shredded coconut, coconut butter, coconut oil, lemon juice and stevia into a food processor and blend until well mixed.
- Use spoon to scoop out about 2 tbsps worth of coconut mixture and place into silicone or regular muffin liners.
- Once all your muffins liners are filled, melt butter or ghee and mix in spices.
- Use a spoon again to scoop out about 1 tablespoon of turmeric liquid and pour onto your coconut cups until the coconut is completely covered. Repeat on all your coconut cups.
- Place in freezer for about 20 minutes or until coconut is frozen.
- Keep in fridge.
Dr Jockers Comments
I am always looking for ways to get more turmeric and more coconut fats into my system. This may be my all-time favorite way!
This is a ketogenic recipe in that it is extremely low-carb, is full of healthy fats and has tons of anti-oxidants and coconut fibers which are a natural prebiotic. The good fats and fibers will provide satiety to where you will not have sugar cravings and they will reduce inflammation and improve digestive function.
Turmeric is one of the most powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant rich herbs known to man. Its primary component curcumin is known to improve brain function and protect the body from a myriad of chronic diseases.
Mixing it with good fats such as coconut or grass-fed butter in this recipe as well as black pepper (which contains a curcumin activator called peperine) helps to maximize the overall utilization of the curcuminoids.