Ten of the Best Fat Burning Foods:
Physicians get concerned with individuals who are overweight due to the inflammatory damage that is associated with an overweight body. Foods that have powerful anti-inflammatory properties are extremely critical in an effective weight loss strategy. Most people wonder what foods have the best fat burning effect and this article discusses the top 10 fat burning superfoods.
It is no secret that our society is fatter, sicker and uglier than ever before. Our obesity levels have doubled in the last 20 years. Over 70% of Americans have tried some sort of a “diet” by the time they are 25 years old. Despite these good intentions it is obvious that most have had limited success.
Good Fats are Key for Good Hormones:
Good fats help to build healthy cell membranes. These membranes are able to utilize good hormonal communication signals to appropriately manage metabolism. Diets rich in sugars, grains, hydrogenated oils and omega 6 fats inflame the body and damage the cell membranes. This alters insulin and leptin signaling leading to insulin & leptin resistance, weight gain, diabetes, & chronic inflammation (1, 2, 3, 4)
Diets rich in good fats (saturated and omega 3) anti-oxidants, electrolytes, & trace minerals de-inflame the body and allow for proper insulin/leptin signaling resulting in weight loss, stable energy & disease prevention (5, 6, 7, 8)
10 Best Fat Burning Foods
These are my favorite foods that I use with clients all the time to help them burn fat, build muscle and slow down the aging process. Pick out your favorites and use them regularly.
The medium chain saturated fats in coconut help to rev up the metabolism by boosting thyroid function. The thyroid plays a very important role in metabolism, fat burning & fat distribution. It also stabilizes blood sugar by enhancing cellular insulin sensitivity (9).
Grass-Fed Beef & Wild Game:
These meat sources are extremely rich in Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA). CLA is a powerful metabolic fuel that enhances glucose sensitivity. CLA is known to improve the ability of fatty acids to enter the muscle and connective tissue cell membranes where they can be burned for fat (10).
Apple Cider Vinegar: (ACV)
Unpasteurized ACV is rich in acetic acid, B vitamins, potassium, enzymes and probiotics. The acetic acid stabilizes blood sugar, reduces insulin surges and improves satiety during and after eating (11).
Lemon & Lime:
Lemon & lime contain citric acid, potassium, vitamin C & vitamin P. These unique nutrients provide a powerful bioelectrical approach that charges up energy levels, alkalizes the body, enhances liver detoxification and reduces inflammation (12).
Raw, unpasteurized cheese from 100% grass-fed cows and goats is one of the best foods on the planet. It contains tons of omega 3 fatty acids and CLA that are linked with healthy weight loss and improved muscle mass (13). It also contains healthy protein & fat soluble vitamins A, E, D3, & K2.
Chia boasts an impressive array of flavonoid and polyphenol anti-oxidants including quercetin, kaempferol, chlorogenic acid and caffeic acid. It has three times the amount of anti-oxidants as blueberries for equal volume (14).
Chia is also loaded with the small chain omega-3 fatty acid ALA and soluble and insoluble fibers. These key nutrients make chia a powerful defense against everyday stress and chronic disease processes.
Grass-fed butter and ghee contain the ideal ratio of omega 6: omega 3 fatty acids, which is especially important for optimizing cell membrane function and reducing inflammation. Grain-fed butter has a high omega 6:3 ratio which will promote inflammatory conditions in the body.
Grass-fed butter also has significantly more anti-inflammatory anti-oxidants than grain-fed butter. Butter and ghee also contain the small chain fatty acid butyrate which helps prevent and heal leaky gut syndrome and reduces whole body inflammation (15).
This fruit is loaded with very good fats that enhance cell membrane activity, balance hormones and speed up metabolism. This is also one of nature’s richest sources of potassium which helps remove excess water and cellulite from the body.
Eggs from pasture-raised chickens are the most nutrient rich and best for us (16). They are extremely rich in carotenoid anti-oxidants such as vitamin A&E as well as lutein and zeaxanthin. Eggs also contain omega 3 fatty acids and healthy saturated fat that makes for strong and vibrant cell membranes.
Bone Broth Protein
Bone Broth Protein is full of collagen protein and glucosamino glycans that helps support the gut, skin, joints and nails. Although making your own bone broth offers fantastic benefits, you can get much of the concentrated protein to use in protein shakes through this product.
A 2014 study found that ingesting glycine and cysteine supplements improved mitochondrial fuel oxidation (fat burning), insulin sensitivity and body composition (18).
Sources For This Article Include:
- Elliott SS, Keim NL, Stern JS, Teff K, Havel PJ. Fructose, weight gain, and the insulin resistance syndrome. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Nov;76(5):911-22. PMID: 12399260
- Stanhope KL, Havel PJ. Endocrine and metabolic effects of consuming beverages sweetened with fructose, glucose, sucrose, or high-fructose corn syrup. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Dec;88(6):1733S-1737S. PMID: 19064538
- The importance of the ratio ofomega-6/omega-3 essential fatty acids. Simopoulos AP. Biomed Pharmacother. 2002 Oct;56(8):365-79. PMID:12442909
- Dall M, Calloe K, Haupt-Jorgensen M, et al. Gliadin Fragments and a Specific Gliadin 33-mer Peptide Close KATPChannels and Induce Insulin Secretion in INS-1E Cells and Rat Islets of Langerhans. von Herrath MG, ed. PLoS ONE2013;8(6):e66474
- St-Onge MP, Bourque C, Jones PJ, Ross R, Parsons WE. Medium- versus long-chain triglycerides for 27 days increases fat oxidation and energy expenditure without resulting in changes in body composition in overweight women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2003 Jan;27(1):95-102 PMID: 12532160
- Sumithran P, Prendergast LA, Delbridge E, Purcell K, Shulkes A, Kriketos A, Proietto J. Ketosis and appetite-mediating nutrients and hormones after weight loss Eur J Clin Nutr. 2013 Jul;67(7):759-64. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2013.90. Epub 2013 May 1. PMID: 23632752
- Effects of a high-protein ketogenic diet on hunger, appetite, and weight loss in obese men feeding ad libitum. Johnstone AM, Horgan GW, Murison SD, Bremner DM, Lobley GE. Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Jan;87(1):44-55. PMID: 18175736
- Laeger T, Pöhland R, Metges CC, Kuhla B. The ketone body β-hydroxybutyric acid influences agouti-related peptide expression via AMP-activated protein kinase in hypothalamic GT1-7 cells. J Endocrinol. 2012 May;213(2):193-203. doi: 10.1530/JOE-11-0457. Epub 2012 Feb 22. PMID:22357971
- Physiological effects of medium-chain triglycerides: potential agents in the prevention of obesity. St-Onge MP, Jones PJ. J Nutr. 2002 Mar;132(3):329-32. Review. PMID: 11880549
- Brown JM, McIntosh MK. Conjugated linoleic acid in humans: regulation of adiposity and insulin sensitivity. J Nutr. 2003 Oct;133(10):3041-6. Review. PMID: 14519781
- Additive postprandial blood glucose-attenuating and satiety-enhancing effect of cinnamon and acetic acid. Mettler S, Schwarz I, Colombani PC. Nutr Res. 2009 Oct;29(10):723-7. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2009.10.002. PMID: 19917452
- Fukuchi Y, Hiramitsu M, Okada M, Hayashi S, Nabeno Y, Osawa T, Naito M. Lemon Polyphenols Suppress Diet-induced Obesity by Up-Regulation of mRNA Levels of the Enzymes Involved in beta-Oxidation in Mouse White Adipose Tissue. J Clin Biochem Nutr. 2008 Nov;43(3):201-9. doi: 10.3164/jcbn.2008066. Epub 2008 Oct 31. PMID: 19015756
- Vaughan RA, Garcia-Smith R, Bisoffi M, Conn CA, Trujillo KA. Conjugated linoleic acid or omega3 fatty acids increase mitochondrial biosynthesis and metabolism in skeletal muscle cells. Lipids Health Dis. 2012 Oct 30;11:142. doi: 10.1186/1476-511X-11-142. PMID: 23107305
- Mohd Ali N, Yeap SK, Ho WY, Beh BK, Tan SW, Tan SG. The Promising Future of Chia,Salvia hispanica Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology2012;2012:171956. doi:10.1155/2012/171956
- Williams EA, Coxhead JM, Mathers JC. Anti-cancer effects of butyrate: use of micro-array technology to investigate mechanisms. Proc Nutr Soc. 2003 Feb;62(1):107-15. Review. PMID: 12740065
- PennState News Research shows eggs from pastured chickens may be more nutritious. Link Here
- McCarty MF, DiNicolantonio JJ. An increased need for dietary cysteine in support of glutathione synthesis may underlie the increased risk for mortality associated with low protein intake in the elderly. Age. 2015;37(5):96.
- Nguyen D, Hsu JW, Jahoor F, Sekhar RV. Effect of Increasing Glutathione With Cysteine and Glycine Supplementation on Mitochondrial Fuel Oxidation, Insulin Sensitivity, and Body Composition in Older HIV-Infected Patients. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2014;99(1):169-177.