Chocolate Chia Super Smoothie:
This chocolate chia super smoothie recipe is from my friend Megan Kelly. She has an incredible site Renewing All Things – Biblically Based Health, Nutrition and Lifestyle specializing in neurobiology, healing, and mental health. You will enjoy this chocolate chia super smoothie!!
Chocolate Chia Super Smoothie
Yield 1 smoothie
- 1–2 cups light organic almond milk or coconut milk (the kind that comes in a carton)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon flax seeds
- 1 scoop unflavored high quality protein powder
- ½ cup of blueberries (optional)
- ½ avocado, pitted and skinned (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- Ice, as needed
- Place all of the ingredients in a high-powered blender, using more or less almond milk and ice depending on the desired thickness of the smoothie. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a serving glass or glasses and enjoy!
***The nutrition info for this recipe is based on the linked ingredients above**
**Nutritional info does not include optional ingredients.
Serving Size 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 10 g
Total Carbohydrates 7 g
Dietary Fiber 4 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 13 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
I usually skip the banana for lowering the sugar content and add 1/2 avocado for texture. You can also add ice for more texture and coolness. I am just not a fan of cold drinks, especially in the winter!
Dr Jockers Comments:
This recipe is fantastic for your gut and hormones. The combination of high quality coconut milk, chia seeds, avocado, raw chocolate and high quality protein powder is easy on the digestive system and provides healthy fats, protein and essential micronutrients you need to thrive in life!
This is a great way to start your day. I teach people that food is for recovery and fluids, electrolytes and anti-oxidants are for energy. I am a HUGE fan of liquid and raw food nutrition during the daytime hours.
This recipe delivers an extraordinary amount of polyphenol anti-oxidants in the chocolate and blueberries. The chia and flax seeds provide tons of high quality soluble and insoluble fiber as well as lignans that helps to feed the healthy microbes we want to populate our digestive system. Additionally, these fibers and lignans help to detoxify wastes and improve gut motility.
Coconut and avocado are fantastic daytime fats that provide quality calories and are easy on the digestive system. This recipe will rev up your energy and improve your mental function so you can perform at your peak!
I love using my new Gut Healing Protein which is a hypoallergenic pea protein base with added curcumin, ginger, L-glutamine, quercetin, bioflavonoids and other nutrients that help with liver detoxification and healing the intestinal membrane. I use this with most of my clients with autoimmune disease, leaky gut and cancer.