5 Steps to Make Your Barbeque Healthy
This time of year everyone is excited to pull out the grill and get the barbeque started. Personally, I love the taste of barbeque. Unfortunately, grilling out regularly is a dangerous habit that radically increases one’s risk of heart disease and cancer. In this article, I go over 5 easy steps to make your barbeque healthy and delicious!!
There are 3 major cancer causing molecules that are present when meat gets heated at a high temperature. One is caused by the smoke that is released when fat drips from meat or fish onto a heat source. This potent carcinogen is called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons or PAH’s for short (1, 2).
The second set of molecules formed by cooking meat at high temperatures are heterocyclic amines (HCA’s). HCA’s are formed through a chemical reaction between naturally occurring amino acids and creatine in the meat (3, 4).
Low Temp Barbeque and Anti-Oxidants:
Finally, grilling meat at high temperatures increases the amount of advanced glycolytic enzymes (AGE’s) present in the meat. When you eat the meat the AGE’s get transferred to your body. AGE’s cause inflammation and oxidative damage in the tissues of your body. These are the leading causes of degenerative diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, arthritis, etc (5).
Fortunately, there are certain steps we can take to enjoy our barbeque while minimizing exposure to these toxic molecules. A report published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry in 2008 showed that marinating meat in anti-oxidant rich substances can be effective (6).
The researchers found that an olive oil, lemon juice and garlic marinade cut HCA levels in chicken by as much as 90%. Marinating in red wine for 6 hours before grilling cut down HCA levels by up to 90% compared to unmarinated steak. Other studies have shown similar results (7, 8)
Healthy Barbeque Tips:
- Barbeque at Lower Temperatures: Lower temperatures cause more of a “roasting” effect than grilling, but they significantly cut down on the amount of HCA’s formed in the meat. Well-done meat has much higher levels of HCA’s than meat cooked medium-rare.
- Avoid Char-Grilling or Blackening Your Meat: This causes the largest amount of HCA’s to form. Do your best not to char-grill your meat and avoid eating any blackened regions.
- Prevent Flaring: Flames from grill cause the formation of both HCAs and PAHs. Keep an eye on your grill & turn meats frequently to minimize flaring.
- Use Grass-Fed Meat Sources: Grilling grain-fed meat causes more AGE’s to form due to a higher sugar content within the meat. Grass-fed meat is lower in total fat than grain-fed meat. Cooking leaner meat reduces the PAH formation. Grass-fed meat also contains a significantly higher amount of healthy omega 3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid.
- Marinate the Meat in Anti-Oxidant Rich sources: Not only is this tasty but it reduces HCA levels by as much as 90%. Use lemon/lime, red wine, apple cider vinegar, & superfood herbs.
Your best defense against today’s (and tomorrow’s) global health threats is a strong immune system.
Yet, too many still remain uninformed about the best protocols to prevent illness and defeat diseases like autoimmune disorders, cancer, heart disease and the looming threat of “superbugs,” which are on pace to be MORE deadly than any other health condition.
It’s time to give your immune system what it needs to protect your health! Join me for The Immune Defense Summit, a free and online event that goes live from June 8th-14th! You can register now and get Dr Thomas Levy’s COVID-19 Viral Defense Protocol presentation for free.
Immune Defense Summit Details
Over 30 of the world’s top experts in integrative medicine and science are discussing the best strategies to strengthen your immune system to help protect from all types of diseases, including autoimmune disorders, cancer, heart disease, dementias and even common pathogens like the flu, measles and pneumonia.
The Immune Defense Summit will help you learn more about:
- Infectious disease solutions (without toxic drugs!)
- Everything you need to know about COVID-19
- Latest advances in immune protective protocols
- How to stop the threat of colds, flu and pneumonia
- Alarming vaccine news (and safe alternatives!)
- Strategies to reverse disease symptoms at the root cause
- And more!
Don’t Miss My Presentation on protecting your mitochondria and optimizing your mitochondria and strengthening your cellular environment to resist stress! You will learn all about how to boost intracellular anti-oxidant defense systems to give your body greater resiliency against microbial attack and environmental stressors.
This is one of the best presentations I have ever given, and perhaps one of the most vital, so I want to make sure you get the opportunity to listen in and take action! You can register to listen for free and tune in when my interview goes live on Thursday, June 11th. You will be happy you took 45 minutes to hear this interview!
Keep Your Immune System Healthy for Life
Join me to gain the best secrets and practical strategies for healing at The Immune Defense Summit, online and free from June 8-14th!
P.S. When you register for this event, you unlock great bonus gifts such as Jonathan Landsman’s new 15 page eBook, The Coronavirus Story: What the Media Isn’t Telling You and learn how the majority of the population has been kept in the dark about how to protect themselves from viral infections.