Coconut Curry Soup
This coconut curry soup was made by our certified health coach Melissa Nohr. She is a busy mom of 2 sets of twins and she is passionate about whole food nutrition and healthy lifestyle on a budget. She does nutrition coaching with people all over the world via Skype and at Exodus Health Center. Check out her coaching page here and enjoy this coconut curry soup recipe!
Coconut Curry Soup
Yield 4–6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh grated ginger
- 2 (13½-ounce) cans full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup chopped kale leaves
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon pink salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the onions, garlic, and ginger and sauté until tender.
- Add the coconut milk, broth, cauliflower, kale, curry powder, turmeric, and salt and stir until well combined. Raise the heat to medium and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring often, for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the meat, if using.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with the cilantro. Serve immediately.
Notes: This is an easy, versatile soup. You can add cooked, chopped chicken for extra protein. Other vegetables, such as broccoli and mushrooms, can be added or substituted as desired.
***The nutrition info for this recipe is based on the linked ingredients above**
Serving Size 3/4 cup
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 30 g
Total Carbohydrates 8 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 1.5 g
Protein 3 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Dr Jockers Comments:
This coconut curry soup is a warm savory dish that tastes wonderful and has a great aroma that will fill up the whole house. It is full of healthy fats and micronutrients that help the body to cleanse and detoxify and is easy on the digestive system.
This is a low-carb, plant-based ketogenic recipe that is loaded with anti-inflammatory polyphenolic compounds with the turmeric, green leafy veggies, ginger, onion and garlic. When these compounds marinate into a soup recipe like this, the hard outer fibers are broken down which reduces stress on our digestive tracts and the pure nutrients become more bioavailable.
If you want to increase the protein content, you are welcome to add in some free-range chicken, wild-caught fish or grass-fed beef. You could even add in a few raw eggs and the heat of the soup will cook some of the proteins making it similar to an “egg-drop” soup like texture. Also, feel free to add in more veggies to your desire.
Our Cancer Cleanse program uses a plant-based ketogenic diet approach that is high in healthy fats, micronutrients, anti-oxidant compounds and fiber while being low in carbohydrates and protein. This recipe is a staple one we use for this program to help provide a foundational lifestyle for preventing or healing cancer.