Paleo Stuffed Mushrooms
This is a modified Paleo Stuffed Mushrooms recipe from my friend Megan Kelly. SShe has an incredible site Renewing All Things – Biblically Based Health, Nutrition and Lifestyle specializing in neurobiology, healing, and mental health.
Paleo Stuffed Mushrooms
Yield 8-12 servings
- 8–12 white mushrooms
- ½ pound grass-fed buffalo sausage
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil for cooking
- ½ cup chopped red onions
- ½ cup chipotle mayo
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Arrange the mushroom caps on a baking sheet.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, cook the coconut oil, sausage and onions for 5 minutes, or until the meat is cooked through. Remove from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise.
- Spoon the filling into the mushroom caps.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the stuffing is beginning to brown nicely along with the mushroom caps. Remove from the oven.
- Serve immediately.
***The nutrition info for this recipe is based on the linked ingredients above**
Courses snacks and side dish
Serving Size About 2 mushrooms
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 16 g
Total Carbohydrates 3 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 2 g
Protein 10 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Dr Jockers Comments
If you loved stuffed mushrooms than this is the recipe for you! Using great ingredients this is a perfect side dish for any get-together and an incredible appetizer for your dinner party. If you want a snack for the big game…this is a winner!
Mushrooms contain polysaccharides that strengthen and balance the immune system. The red onions are natural anti-microbials that also contain the blood sugar stabilizing mineral chromium and the cancer stem cell killing anthocyanin anti-oxidants.
The Primal Kitchen chipotle mayo is free of all the toxic vegetable oils such as canola, corn and soybean oil and chemical ingredients you find in conventional mayo’s on the market. Instead, the Primal Kitchen products use a healthy fat in avocado oil and natural herbs.
The ingredients in this mayo include:
- Avocado oil
- Cage-free eggs
- Organic egg yolks
- Organic lime juice
- Chipotle powder
- Organic chives
- Organic rosemary extract
My wife and I also LOVE their regular mayo, which is made with avocado oil as well. Once you try this, you will replace all the commercial mayo’s and even the veganaisse and other “healthier” varieties, which are made with grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil is very in inflammatory omega-6 fats and is not recommended on an anti-inflammatory nutrition plan.
We use grass-fed beef, organic chicken or bison or buffalo sausage for this. I have a link for the buffalo sausage that I LOVE right here. US Wellness Meats also has chicken and grass-fed beef sausage you can try in this.