This recipe is a slightly modified version from my friend Megan Kelly. She has an incredible blog and is a Licensed Esthetician specializing in holistic nutrition, woman’s hormones, and spiritual health.
Grainless Tortillas Ingredients:
1 cup of Cassava Flour
2/3 cup of warm water
Pinch of pink salt
¼ tsp of baking soda
¼ tsp of apple cider vinegar
Grainless Tortillas Instructions:
- Mix the flour, pink salt, and baking soda together in a bowl.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, butter or oil, and warm water. Stir to combine.
- Divide the dough into 4 balls
- Roll out each ball between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Cook each tortilla on a hot pan or skillet- use coconut oil or butter for frying.
- Cook on medium heat 1-2 minutes until bubbles form; flip and cook for another minute.
- Remove and continue with the rest of dough. The tortillas can be made in advance and warmed before use.
Dr Jockers Comments:
So many of my clients love Mexican foods, burritos, taco’s and tortillas but since we look to remove grains and corn, they have limited options. This recipe is both corn and gluten free and has an anti-inflammatory effect on the body.
Cassava is a root vegetable that is also known as Yuca. It is a staple food for many populations across Latin America, Asia and Africa. Cassava is loaded with prebiotics that help feed your microbiome and improve the development of good bacteria in your gut.
We have found that Otto’s Cassava Flour is one of the best replacements for wheat flour and can be used in many different recipes including cakes, cookies, pancakes and crepes. It doesn’t have the same dry taste or texture as many other gluten-free flours.