God’s Natural Chemotherapy
I believe deep within my spirit that God created us for incredible health & vitality and desires for us to look to nature to provide the resources for health & well-being. Our society has been trained to look first to man-made interventions and treatments.
However, I believe we honor and glorify Him by looking to His creation for the answers to our health goals. The more I study nature, nutrition, human physiology and biochemistry, etc. the more His majesty comes alive in my body, mind, & soul. Discover what I believe to be God’s natural chemotherapy.
The world’s most powerful cancer fighting substances are found right under our nose in the form of natural plants, herbs, & spices. Some of the most potent of these include cruciferous veggies (such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, kale, bok choy, collards, & turnip greens among others) contain a wide array of anti-carcinogenic compounds. Here are a few of them:
Cancer Destroying Nutrients:
1. Indole-3 Carbinol: A powerful antioxidant that scavenges free radicals in the body. It plays a very critical role in liver detoxification by inducing hepatic cytochrome P450 monooxygenases. This reaction affects estrogen metabolism by increasing the production of the chemoprotective estrogen 2-hydroxyestrone (1, 2).
Additionally, it has been shown that I3C inhibits aflotoxin-DNA binding and arrests the G1 growth phase of cancerous human reproductive cells (3). It has also shown benefit in the treatment of Systemic Lupus, an autoimmune disease related to faulty estrogen metabolism (4).
2. Isothiocyanates: (Phenethyl Isothiocyanate & Sulforaphane) Shown to induce apoptosis (programmed cell death) in most cancer cells including drug-resistant leukemia cells. The p53 gene is considered the “guardian of the genome,” due to its role in regulating the cell cycle and suppressing cancer formation (4).
Increased levels of oxidative stress creates a mutation of the p53 gene which promotes cancer cell growth. Isothiocyanates have been shown to destroy mutant p53 genes (5, 6). Broccoli sprouts are considered the best source of these powerful compounds.
3. Lutein & Zeaxanthin: These 2 carotenoid anti-oxidants are very similar in chemistry and function. These 2 powerfully reduce oxidative stress, inhibit cancer cell formation, and induce cancer cell apoptosis (7, 8). These substances are found in abundance in kale, spinach, brussel sprouts, & broccoli.
Dr. Jockers’ Action Steps:
- Eat More Cruciferous Veggies: Include a lot of cruciferous vegetables in your diet everyday.
- Juice Your Greens: Juice cancer fighting foods to get the most concentrated form of these powerful nutrients. Juicing helps to maximize nutrient absorption while liming stress on the digestive system. When their is less stress on the digestive system, the body is able to heal more effectively.
- Use Sprouts: Sprouts are the most nutrient dense. Use broccoli sprouts regularly.
- Lightly Cook Your Cruciferers: Steam or lightly boil these veggies to break down fibrous outer shell. I love to top them with grass-fed butter, which is rich in fat soluble vitamins such as lutein, retinol and conjugated linoleic acid, which have anti-cancer activity. Additionally, I recommend putting lemon juice or apple cider vinegar on afterwards to add anti-oxidants and begin the digestive process and cover them with herbs like basil, oregano and thyme.
- Marinate Your Veggies if Eating Them Raw: Marinate your veggies in apple cider vinegar for 30-60+ minutes to soften them and maintain all essential nutrients in their raw form.
- Fermented Veggies: Consuming fermented cabbage recipes such as sauerkraut and kimchii is one of the best ways to get these cancer killing nutrients along with tons of live enzymes and probiotics into our bodies. Consume 1/4 cup of these daily and more if you are battling cancer or trying to detox from chemotherapy.
Learn more about the most amazing cancer fighting superfoods, how to juice and alkalize your body, increase your oxygenation and become a living, breathing cancer crushing machine through the Cancer Cleanse program. You can download our free Cancer Cleanse guide and get access to a free video training series emailed to your inbox to see if this program is for you.
Your Body Can Heal Itself:
Your body has an incredible healing power within it. In 9 months, while we were in our mothers womb, we developed from 2 cells into trillions of living, breathing cells. Our bodies can truly heal! We have to remove the toxic thoughts, chemicals and stressors on our system so we can heal as designed.
I believe that a cancer diagnosis or a major health scare is actually an opportunity to change our thinking patterns, to draw closer to God and to learn to master our mind, body and emotions. It may be tough to see, but many people who have overcome chronic disease have reported that the diagnosis and the suffering they endured, helped open their eyes to a new way of life that is so much better than what they had settled for in the past.
You Don’t Have to Be Afraid:
I pray that you will begin by spending each day, desiring to see yourself as God sees you. No matter what you have done in the past, He sees you as His son or daughter. You and I are His children and He desires a deeper personal relationship with you.
Perhaps, He wants you to search deep and forgive those who have wronged you or He wants you to open yourself up fully to His love. Whatever it is, He doesn’t want you to live in fear, but instead to choose love and faith in His healing power!
Sources For This Article Include:
- Bradlow HL, Michnovicz J, Telang NT, Osborne MP. Effects of dietary indole-3-carbinol on estradiol metabolism and spontaneous mammary tumors in mice. Carcinogenesis. 1991 Sep;12(9):1571-4. PMID: 1893517
- Auborn KJ, Fan S, Rosen EM, Goodwin L, Chandraskaren A, Williams DE, Chen D, Carter TH. Indole-3-carbinol is a negative regulator of estrogen. J Nutr. 2003 Jul;133(7 Suppl):2470S-2475S. PMID: 12840226
- Stresser DM, Bailey GS, Williams DE. Indole-3-carbinol and beta-naphthoflavone induction of aflatoxin B1 metabolism and cytochromes P-450 associated with bioactivation and detoxication of aflatoxin B1 in the rat. Drug Metab Dispos. 1994 May-Jun;22(3):383-91. PMID: 8070314
- McAlindon TE, Gulin J, Chen T, Klug T, Lahita R, Nuite M. Indole-3-carbinol in women with SLE: effect on estrogen metabolism and disease activity. Lupus. 2001;10(11):779-83. PMID: 11789487
- Wang X, Di Pasqua AJ, Govind S, McCracken E, Hong C, Mi L, Mao Y, Wu JY, Tomita Y, Woodrick JC, Fine RL, Chung FL. Selective depletion of mutant p53 by cancer chemopreventive isothiocyanates and their structure-activity relationships. J Med Chem. 2011 Feb 10;54(3):809-16. PMID: 21241062
- Prawan A, Keum YS, Khor TO, Yu S, Nair S, Li W, Hu L, Kong AN. Structural influence of isothiocyanates on the antioxidant response element (ARE)-mediated heme oxygenase-1 (HO-1) expression. Pharm Res. 2008 Apr;25(4):836-44. PMID: 17657593
- Rafi MM, Kanakasabai S, Gokarn SV, Krueger EG, Bright JJ. Dietary lutein modulates growth and survival genes in prostate cancer cells. J Med Food. 2015 Feb;18(2):173-81. PMID: 25162762
- Bi M-C, Rosen R, Zha R-Y, McCormick SA, Song E, Hu D-N. Zeaxanthin Induces Apoptosis in Human Uveal Melanoma Cells through Bcl-2 Family Proteins and Intrinsic Apoptosis Pathway. Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine : eCAM. 2013;2013:205082.