This recipe is a slightly modified version from my friend Megan Kelly. She has an incredible blog and is a Licensed Esthetician specializing in holistic nutrition, woman’s hormones, and spiritual health.
SuperCharged Keto Oreos Ingredients:
¼ cup of vanilla flavored protein powder
3 tbsps of cacao powder
¼ tsp of liquid stevia
1 tbsp of coconut oil
3 ½ tbsps of almond butter
3 tbsps coconut butter
Few drops of stevia (flavor of your choice)
SuperCharged Oreos Instructions:
- In a large bowl, place protein powder and cacao powder and mix
- Add in your sweetener. I used liquid stevia, but if you wanted to use another sweetener like maple syrup or honey, you can adjust your wet ingredients, either by omitting the coconut oil or reducing the almond butter, or both.
- Next add in your coconut oil and almond butter.
- Mix together until batter forms. Add more protein powder if too runny, and more coconut oil or maple syrup if too dry.
- Either place batter in a mini muffin tin lined with parchment paper to form cookie shape or form by hand by place drops of batter on parchment paper and pressing down by hand to form the size of cookie you would like
- Set in fridge or freezer to harden
- Make filling my mixing coconut butter with sweetener of choice in bowl- a few drops of stevia OR 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
- Place filling on cookies and top with cookie.
- Enjoy! Keep in refrigerator.
The texture of the cookie batter could be different depending on a few factors:
- Your almond butter could be on the thick side or runny.
- Protein powders can have different textures.
- If you use maple syrup instead of stevia.
- To fix this- if your batter is too runny- add more protein powder or almond butter. If batter is too dry, add more melted coconut oil or maple syrup. Play around until the batter taste and is a good texture to make the cookies. They will harden in the fridge, so do not worry if the batter is sticky/wet.
- You can also add a drop of peppermint essential oil!
Dr Jockers Comments:
Oh my gosh! I LOVED Oreos as a child and it can still be tough to lay off of them if I am around them. Typical oreos are full of processed sugars and artificial sweeteners, trans fats and preservatives. These ones are sugar-free and full of healthy fats and anti-oxidants.
Raw chocolate is called cacao and it is full of powerful anti-oxidant nutrients. It is one of the best sources of PEA’s which are natural compounds that cross over the blood brain barrier and stimulate and modulate the release of dopamine in the brain. Cacao is also very rich in magnesium and zinc and chromium which help to balance and stabilize blood sugar.
Cacao also helps to boost serotonin and contains endorphin Anandamide which is considered the “bliss chemical.” This combination of ingredients makes raw chocolate the best mood boosting superfood. Be careful not to overdo the chocolate though as the body may develop a sensitivity to some of the compounds in the chocolate and create adrenal stress.
The best protein powders are either a bone broth protein or a high quality vegan protein. We like our Super Digest Protein that is a combination of organic brown rice protein and pea protein. This is fantastic if you have a food sensitivity to whey.