12 Natural Solutions for Uterine Fibroids
Uterine fibroids are non-cancerous tumor growths in or on the muscular wall of the womb. They typically affect about 20% of women over age of 30. Current research has shown that fibroid tumors are a symptom of estrogen dominance and can be prevented or even reversed through healthy lifestyle (1, 2, 3). In this article, you will discover 12 natural solutions for uterine fibroids that you can start applying immediately.
Fibroids are easiest to treat when they are small but they are also very hard to detect at this stage. Very small fibroids rarely produce any symptoms and most do not know they have them. As uterine fibroids grow larger they cause menstrual bleeding to increase. This can become very painful especially during menstruation. Eventually, they can press on surrounding organs like the bladder and kidneys. This can become very serious and may require surgery.
Fibroids Cause Major Health Problems:
Depending on the severity of the fibroids many doctors can remove only the fibroids and keep the uterus intact. This does not always solve the problem. About half of the women who keep their uteruses find that their fibroids grow back. Fibroids are responsible for about one-third of all hysterectomies (4, 5).
Women with uterine fibroids are often estrogen dominant and have low progesterone levels (6). Stabilizing estrogen/progesterone levels can cause fibroids to shrink and dissolve all together. This is likely due to progesterone’s ability to help speed up the clearance of estrogens from tissue.
Major Causes of Estrogen Dominance:
The major cause of estrogen dominance in our current society comes from the overuse of chemicals & preservatives. Xenoestrogens are artificially made compounds produced by industry. These differ chemically from archiestrogens (naturally occurring) produced by living organisms (7, 8).
Xenoestrogens mimic the effects of true estrogen and interact with cellular receptor sites. This process contributes to estrogen excess and blocks the effects of true estrogen. To make matters worse, these endocrine disruptors lodge in fat cells where they are resistant to breakdown (9, 10).
Many of these chemicals will act in a synergistic effect when combined with other endocrine disrupters. This synergistic process exponentially enhances their effects within the body causing major problems at the cellular level.
Most Common Sources of Xenoestrogens:
a. Commercially-Raised Animal Products:
b. Plastics & Canned Goods (many have plastic lining)
c. Personal Care Products (makeup, lotion, & perfumes)
d. Oral Contraceptives
e. Pharmaceutical medications
f. Food Additives & preservatives
g. Styrofoam products
h. Laundry & Dishwashing detergents
i. Household cleaners & air fresheners
j. Pesticides & Herbicides
Minimize Xenoestrogen Exposure:
To prevent or eliminate fibroid tumors it is essential that a woman minimize her exposure to xenoestrogens. Additionally, she must reduce her intake of sugar, caffeine, vegetable oil, hydrogenated oil, alcohol, & prescription/OTC medications which all have powerful estrogenic effects.
Elevated stress must be dealt with since it wears out the adrenals and leads to impaired production of progesterone. The individual should be focusing on good sleep, relaxation techniques and lots of deep breathing as these all help to balance hormonal function.
Hormone Balancing Diet:
To effectively stabilize estrogen/progesterone levels one should consume a diet rich in vegetables of all kinds, sprouts, berries, grapefruits, free-range & grass-fed meats, coconut, avocado, & lemon, & extra-virgin olive oil. This diet should be low carbohydrate, moderate protein and moderate fat.
This will stabilize the blood sugar and help the body burn through fat stores and detoxify estrogen more effectively. Cruciferous vegetables are preferred due to their high content of indole-3-carbonyl and sulforaphane which powerfully enhances estrogen metabolism and detoxification (11, 12).
Cleanse the Liver and Boost Omegas:
Liver cleansing herbs such as milk thistle, dandelion, & turmeric should be used daily to support estrogen metabolism and detoxification. Drink a gallon of clean water with fresh squeezed lemon daily to boost anti-oxidants and remove wastes from the body.
It is critical to take a high quality omega 3 supplement with over 1.5 grams per serving of EPA & DHA. It is also great to use curcumin, which is the active ingredient in turmeric that is a powerful anti-inflammatory. Taking liposomal glutathione to support anti-oxidant stores is especially important. The Pro Omega CRP combines omega 3’s with liposomal curcumin, glutathione and N-Acetyl Cysteine for a powerful hormone supporting blend.
It is possible to overcome uterine fibroids with natural strategies. This is not an exhaustive list but it is a great start for someone looking to do this.
Remember that each individual is different and some of these strategies will make a bigger impact than others depending upon your unique circumstances. I always advise working with a functional health clinician in order to get a customized plan based around your unique health challenges.
1. Minimize the Usage of Endocrine Disruptors: Get off all oral contraceptives, hormone creams, and hormone based prescription medications, etc. You should consult your doctor about this and weaning stages may be necessary. This also includes plastics, personal hygiene products, makeups, etc.
2. Drink Hydrating Fluids: Be sure to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of clean, filtered water daily. Adding lemon/lime or apple cider vinegar to your water enhances the detoxifying effects.
3. Anti-Inflammatory Diet: Keep grains, sugars, bad fats and commercialized meat out of your diet. Load up on non-starchy veggies, low-glycemic fruit (lemons/limes, grapefruit, berries, granny smith apples), organic meat, good fats (coconut, grass-fed butter/ghee, olives, olive oil and avocados). Use herbs in abundance and fermented foods and tonics like apple cider vinegar
4. Practice Intermittent Fasting: Doing a liquid fast for 16-24 hrs daily or even just a few days a week can be an incredible practice to improve detoxification pathways. I personally enjoy doing 16-18 hour fasts daily where I eat my meals between a 6-8 hour eating window (12-7pm for example).
Outside of meal times I drink plenty of water, greens powders or green juices sometimes and herbal teas. For more info on intemittent fasting read this article
5. Use Di-Indole Methane (DIM): DIM is an extract from broccoli sprouts that helps the body to neutralize reactive estrogen metabolites (4 hydroxy and 16 hydroxy estrone and estradiol) and influences the production of non-reactive estrogen production.
I recommend 300-600mg daily of Estro-Protect which is a great DIM formula for my clients that have estrogen dominance.
6. Regular Exercise: Moving your body improves your respiration and perspiration outlets. It also helps mobilize body fat stores where many toxins reside and gets these toxins into our circulation. I recommend doing a lot of low-intensity movement each day such as walking, light bicycle riding, dancing, recreational sports, etc.
I recommend doing high-intensity strength training several times per week in the form of resistance training and surge training.
7. Juice Greens or Use Greens Powders: Juicing greens provides a tremendous amount of chlorophyll and phytonutrients that enhance the detoxification process. To learn more about proper juicing strategies read this article. I also recommend using greens powders such as Organic Supergreens here
8. Use Essential Oils: Using an essential oil diffuser in your home and applying essential oils can be of great benefit for detoxification.
9. Practice Oil Pulling: This is an outstanding way to remove microbial debris from the body on a regular basis. Read this article for more info on oil pulling.
10. Improve Your Gut Motility: Improving bowel movement frequency and consistency is a key detoxification concept. Consuming an anti-inflammatory diet with good fiber sources such as chia seed and flax seed, using bone broths, fermented foods and probiotics will improve bowel motility.
11. Use an InfraRed Sauna: Fantastic way to boost your detoxification processes. Read this article on Sauna usage.
12. Use a High Quality Detoxification System: Using this system with help you sweep out the toxins you are exposed too on a daily basis. This is not a harsh colon cleanse that leaves you on the toilet all day, but instead it promotes a gentle and comfortable detoxification process that will not interfere with your daily life.
Within days most people notice they have improved energy, less pain, mental clarity, improved complexion and they sleep deeper. I have seen fantastic health results both personally and professionally using this system.