In This Episode:
In this episode, I interview Dr Heather Sandison and we discuss key strategies to reduce your risk of dementia and optimize brain health. We go through important nutritional strategies as well as evidence based healthy lifestyle tips to support your memory and cognition as you age.
- 02:30 Introduction to today’s topic
- 04:00 Understanding the epidemic of neurodegenerative conditions.
- 07:20 What are some of the top preventative lifestyle tips?
- 08:35 Unpacking an organic ketogenic diet approach (with intermittent fasting)
- 11:40 What is Cognitive Exercise?
- 13:30 The power of meditation and prayer
- 15:00 Resistance training (and dual-task exercise)
- 16:25 How Einstein used to walk at pace (to stimulate thinking!)
- 19:50 What can people do to improve their sleep?
- 22:55 Treating sleep apnea to prevent cognitive decline.
- 25:20 What else is Dr. Sandison seeing when diagnosing her clients?
- 27:40 What can you do today? Open your doors and windows!
- 30:50 Adding salt and minerals to distilled water
- 32:45 How to create resources for new neurons and synapses (preventing exposure to toxicities)
- 34:37 How consistently is Dr. Sandison seeing people get better?
How can we use intermittent fasting as well as exercise and nutrition strategies to optimize our brain health and prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease?
To help answer that question, Dr. Jockers has sought the help of Dr. Heather Sandison, a renowned naturopathic doctor who has dedicated her career to helping those suffering from dementia.
Keeping your brain sharp at any age is possible. Dr. Sandison is here to shatter those (and other) misconceptions we might have about our brain health. Clinical research has shown that good sleep, regular exercise, and intermittent fasting can all reduce the risk of dementia.
There are also some great book resources that Dr. Sandison shares, as well as thoughts on cognitive exercise and how to deal with toxic air pollution in your immediate environment. The solution to pollution is dilution!
Please join us on this highly impactful episode of Functional Nutrition. And if you know of someone suffering from deteriorating mental clarity, this episode could change their life – so sharing is caring! Please join us.
“About 10,000 steps a day reduces your risk of developing dementia by half.“
We partner with great companies that make superior products that can help benefit your health. These products have gone through a review and vetting process by Dr. Jockers and his team and are products that we use and recommend for others.
They are truly the best of the best supplements, tools, and resources you can find to help improve your health! Even better, we have worked with the manufacturers to get you exclusive community discounts so you can get them for the lowest price on the internet.
If you are over 40 and seeking to overcome fatigue and brain fog, an excellent solution is available. Carbon 60, also known as C60, is a powerful Nobel Prize-winning antioxidant that optimizes mitochondrial function, combats inflammation and neutralizes toxic free radicals.
Today’s episode is proudly sponsored by shopc60.com. By visiting this website and using the coupon code “JOCKERS,” you can enjoy a 15% discount on your first order. Whether you follow a keto or intermittent fasting lifestyle or have a sensitive digestive system, shopc60.com offers a range of products tailored to your needs.
Paleovalley Bone Broth Protein Powder
When it comes to gut health, bone broth is one of my ‘go to’ items I add to my diet. But, not all collagen is created equal. Many brands use poor-quality bones and heating methods that remove all of the potent benefits of collagen.
That is why I choose to use Paleovalley Bone Broth Protein Powder, you can get all the gut healing benefits without the mess from a company that uses only 100% grass-fed and finished cows and is not processed with high heat or extracted with harmful chemicals.
There are no fillers, flow agents, or added flavors. There is only ONE ingredient in this product and it’s bovine bone broth protein. That’s it. Visit paleovalley.com/jockers
Subscribe To The Podcast On:
- Visit https://shopc60.com/jockers – Use code “JOCKERS” to get 15% off!
- Check out Paleovalley.com/jockers
- (BOOK RECOMMENDATION) – The End of Alzheimer’s: The First Program to Prevent and Reverse Cognitive Decline
- (BOOK RECOMMENDATION) – Amazon.com: Ultra-Processed People: Why We Can’t Stop Eating Food That Isn’t Food (Audible Audio Edition)
Connect with Dr. Heather Sandison:
- Website – https://www.drheathersandison.com/
Connect with Dr. David Jockers:
- If you are interested in being a guest on the show, we would love to hear from you! Please contact us here!